Artisan Marketing Communications offers clients PR and marketing communications advice, practical support and implementation.

Friday, March 09, 2007

Press releases as marketing tools

I was discussing with Simon Wharton that he wanted a release for his satirical video "Number One on the Google." I had my doubts. However, he explained that he wanted to use it as a tool to build and generate links and interest. Well strangely enough I came across a really interesting article from Lee Odden about making your online press releases work for you as a marketing channel.

Lee explains: "Press releases were originally designed as a communication tool between company PR staff or public relations firms and the media. But now that online news sites such as Yahoo News and Google News contain such an abundance of press release content and RSS makes it easy to syndicate news, press releases can be effectively used as a direct to consumer communication tool."

Lee offers 10 tips that can help utilise the online press release - a bit of an eye opener and something to read and re-read until it is second nature.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee's tips are fabulous, and I commented at his blog that I'm going to add two of them to my free email course "89 Ways to Write Powerful Press Releases."

As a publicity expert, I get more questions about press releases than about any other topic. So I created the course to show people, as Lee has explained, that press releases should be written for consumers, not only for journalists.

Artists, for example, can write them about:

--New pieces of art they are creating

--When a new piece of artwork is for sale

--Free or for-fee classes

--Demonstrations

--Contest they are sponsoring

And lots more.





You can opt into the course at http://www.PublicityHound.com/pressreleasetips/art.htm

2:27 PM

 
Blogger Rob Baker said...

Joan,

I am glad I came across Lee's site again; it looks like a blog that is well worth keeping up to date with

Rob

11:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home