Artisan Marketing Communications offers clients PR and marketing communications advice, practical support and implementation.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

To phone or not to phone - that is the question

From time to time PR blogs complain about journalists who complain about PRs phoning them to see if they received the e-mail that did not bounce back.

It makes good blog copy - comments abound after such entries.

It also brings up the question of following up. Generally if a journalist has received your e-mail they have made a decision on whether your release or offer is worth pursuing and they get back to you or use without correspondence.

So far, so good.

However, I have been following up today on 2 articles I have propositioned last week for a client.

The response initially was not so good although the proposition I believed was. It could be that many journalists are still on holiday and combined with deadlines looming I did not get the overwhelming flood of interest I expected. It could be my e-mail could have been better written.

I followed up and have had some expressions of interest, including a one page feature agreed and one highly likely. If I get one more then it will be a very good use of my time.

What strikes me is that some journalists do not read their e-mails or do not have time to read their in boxes thoroughly.

There is a delicate balance. However, sometimes it does seem wider than that; there is a difference between attracting attention to something that can be of some value that might have been missed and simply haranguing and pressuring a journalist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Interesting to read about the 'follow up'. I am under the distinct impression that to not pick up the phone to 'follow up' you may well have not sent the email in the first place. By picking the phone you will instantly know if:
a) The article is of no interest whatsoever.
b) Your journalist has questions or concerns you can progress things for them
c) Find out what interests them for next time

I admire your following up Rob and I am sure you have more success than colleagues and competitors who do not bother. Despite the obvious occasional busy journo being a bit funny with you!

8:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

I think it is a good approach to follow up as it can give you valuable information, contacts and help establish a rapport.

However, it is how it is done that counts.

Rob

11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home