Artisan Marketing Communications offers clients PR and marketing communications advice, practical support and implementation.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Using social networking sites for business

The other day I was asked what I thought and know of Facebook, the thinking man's MySpace.

All I really know besides that it is a social networking site is that Prince William might or might not be a member.

The question came from someone looking to use Facebook, the posh My Space, to make business contacts.

I had my doubts.

Last night I was recommend Xing, a business social networking site. I really could not get past the registration to find out more about it.

I have been a member of Soflow and I lost interest in that within in a week or so.

There are others such as Linkedin, which I came across when I was trying to find an ex-colleague although I found his contact details of his new company elsewhere very quickly.
I am sure there are others business social networking sites.

I just find it hard to see, when there is blogging and networking, why a company would put much resource time wise into using a social networking site.

Am I missing out?

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

In a word, Rob, I think you are.

I've not used Facebook to be introduced to new contacts yet, but I've certainly revived some old friendships and found out what a few old contacts are up to.

It might not sound like much, but when it comes to PR, the relations of that phrase relies so much on networking and connections that I think tools such as Facebook - which somehow lower the barriers between people - are invaluable.

4:50 AM

 
Blogger Assist.com Moderator said...

I depends on how you use them.

See http://www.assist.com/smm

They work very well for many of our clients.

11:39 AM

 
Blogger Simon Wharton said...

There's definitely something to be said for Social Networks but I think you have to address them in a similar vein to how you address your real world networks. If you try to sell, people will avoid you. If you engage in conversations appropriate to the group you are in, and are genuinely interested in others, then you will find others that are genuinely interested in you. And they will remember you when someone asks them a question that you can answer.

2:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gentlemen,

Maybe I am being too flippant.

But surely blogging is the better way and is more focussed because social networking sites tend to be that social and I have not been too impressed by SoFlow.

With all these things time comes into it.

I agree to re-open my mind.

Rob

11:56 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

It's not a case of social networks VERSUS blogging, one or the other.

They're different beasts altogether.

I use both facebook, etc. and blogging but for very different purposes.

If you're going to look into Facebook, look for ways it can complement your blogging, not whether it should replace it.

5:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home