Artisan Marketing Communications offers clients PR and marketing communications advice, practical support and implementation.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Are graduates ready for agency life?

The Drum magazine posed that question in their latest Vox Pop feature and I found myself agreeing with the majority of what was said although the opinions diverged.

Three opinions gave a resounding "No!"

At first I was firmly in the students are greener than a David Bellamy compost heap camp.

However Adam Fothergill of creative agency Love stated (I leave out some adjectives as I got feed up (unlike the graduate traits he notes)):

"Enthusiastic, ambitious, naive, talented, skillful, hungover, interested, interesting, passionate, innovative, pioneering, capable, trained, involved, fascinated, bright, motivated, motivating, exciting, excited, eager, animated, clever, determined, raw, youthful. Willing to get up early, make tea, coffee, or other hot drinks, and laugh at some w**ker's jokes just to keep them happy. Perfectly prepared for agency life."

Well.

I was under the impression today's graduates are more career orientated than my generation; more clued up because of the competition and have taken aboard the need for experience.

I suppose it is all a question of the individual. At 22 all I wanted was to travel the world and have a gilded existence. Still do, but more realistic now.

I must admit I would go for the skills and experience, but there is a lot to be said for enthusiasm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Simon Wharton said...

If I get a job application from a student who can use a spelling checker and avoid txt spk, then they're almost guaranteed an interview.

1:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon,

your Jaime is a bit of a star, so I think you can have the enthusiasm and skills - if you are lucky

2:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home